Monday, February 20, 2012

Tote-ally Cute Bird on Branch

Welcome crafters!  I am excited to debut my FIRST EVER blog post for you today.  As I pondered what craft would amaze enough to stand as the FIRST post I could hear the gears turn in my head.  Sticky vinyl?  Iron-on vinyl?  Magnet sheets?  Paper?  I decided on my oldest and dearest material: fabric.  My mama loves the new bird trend (who doesn’t?) so I figured I would make a cute tote bag for her.  No worries for those of you who are non-sewers, I’ll show you how to do a fabric iron-on.  Alright, are you ready?  Let’s make a tote-ally cute bird on branch tote bag! (Play on words are fun aren’t they?)

You will need:
-Fabric of your choice
-Heat n Bond (adhesive backing)
-Blank tote-bag

As well as an iron & ironing board, and of course, your SILHOUETTE!

   















STEP ONE:

Iron the  backing to the fabric by placing the glue side of the Heat n Bond to the wrong side of the fabric (side you do NOT want showing.) If you are only using a partial sheet you may cut it down before ironing to save materials.
















STEP TWO:
Plan your design (choose from the Silhouette Store or make your own) and cut it out.
*If you do not own a Silhouette, cutting out a shape will work about the same.



 













We’re almost finished.  Don’t you love how quickly this goes?  


STEP THREE:

Set the pieces where you would like them positioned on your tote bag, peel off the paper backing and iron for about 10 seconds.  If you feel it needs a few more seconds, go ahead.











 
 My design was layered so my ironing was done in 2 steps.


Finished Product:











 









Voila!  Now I’ve got a finished tote bag for my mama that she can use to hold books, a beach towel or all that yarn for her new crocheting addiction!

Hope you enjoyed this post and have gotten excited to make your very own tote-ally cute tote bag!  Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment