Friday, May 10, 2019

(Beginner Sewing) Pillow for Mother's Day

As Mother's Day quickly approaches, I'm sure many of you are still trying to think of that perfect gift to give.  If you're here, I'm guessing that you probably are looking for some great do-it-yourself inspiration!  That's why I wanted to share this sweet pillow my son made when he was 3.  I think he may have actually given it as a Valentine's gift to his Mamaw (my mom) but it probably works even better for Mother's Day! 

If you've got a kiddo just learning to sew, this is a great beginner project.  The pillow uses fabrics that don't fray so you don't even have to "turn it" which makes it both easier and faster!  And don't worry- if you don't quite trust your little on the sewing machine just yet, let him or her sit on your lap and help "guide" your own hand.  Then let them stuff the pillow or cut the threads all by themselves!  Either way, it's a gift that mom or grandma will be sure to treasure forever AND something that your child can be proud to have made.






I'm not kidding when I say "something your child will be proud of".  This pillow still brings him pride and joy every time he goes to his Mamaw's house!




So here's how you do it:

First, buy your fabric (you will also need some stuffing/fiber fill).  Both sides are made from fleece (one is blizzard fleece and one is anti-pill I think but it doesn't matter at all).  Then cut out whatever shape you want. I cut out the heart shape myself because I was using a rotary cutter and those things will cut off your finger if you aren't careful! ha! But feel free to give your child free reign over this part as well.






Next, Lay the two pieces on top of each other.  Since you are not turning this, there is no need to put right sides together like with most sewing projects, unless you want to make it more finished looking on the edges. You or your child can now sew along the entire edge, leaving a short opening to put in the stuffing.







I love to watch this kid sew...








Allow your child to "make mistakes" or sew crooked lines.  This pillow is from them and that's part of the learning process.  Every wavy stitch is a perfect element to this thoughtful gift. (I don't know about you, but I treasure the "real" stuff way more than perfect things). I know that comes really hard for a lot of mamas, but try to just let it happen.








After the edges are all sewn (minus the small opening), it's time to fill it.  Let your child rip off pieces of pillow filling and stuff it themselves.  This is something that any age and skill level can do and boy do they enjoy it!







Once it's as full as you'd like it, head back to the sewing machine and stitch closed the opening.  Here's where not turning your fabric really comes in handy because you don't have to try to hide this stitch- it's just visible like the rest of them!  Honestly, it's just a lot easier for little ones to do themselves.







All done!  Front and back:







That's it! 
All they have to do now is wrap it up and share it with a special "mother" in their life.  I'll be honest, I'm a little jealous that I didn't get my son's first real sewing project for myself, but I'm glad that he wanted to make it for the woman who is so special to me, my mother.






No comments:

Post a Comment