Monday, April 29, 2013

Wood Disk Necklace Pendants- Natural Beaty in a Whole New Way!

Oh what a neat little project I have for you today and to think- it almost never was!  I had a whole different post planned until I realized I was missing a crucial piece.  Oops! Time for plan B.  Oh wait, I don't have a plan B.  This week has been a crazy one (good crazy though, I got a new job in my field of interest, that is with a christian founded company and with awesome people!  More on that another time.) so I didn't have my normal list of backup craft options.

Then suddenly it hit me!  What are two things I love more than almost anything?  Rustic outdoorsy stuff and jewelry.  And so, my friends I bring you....

Wood Disk Necklace Pendants!


Are you as excited as I am?  They are super easy to make too.

Find a branch that is about 1 inch wide.  Cut into pieces about 1/8- 1/4 inch thick (whatever thickness you want on your necklace) and smooth if desired.  I left mine rough but I dig that rugged look.


Let your creativity run wild!  I made one with (my new favorite) color of blue and a heart negative to let the wood show through.  I used a vinyl heart and peeled it off when the paint was dry.

{That's the vinyl before I painted over it}
{I prefer the sides unpainted so that I can see the bark... I love this!}

I painted another one gold and dipped the edge in blue glitter.  My husband may not care much for glitter but he has to admit... this is pretty cute!


Have you ever tried wire wrapping?  I hadn't but took a go at it for the next two pendants.  First a green one:

{I am loving the bead in the middle.  It looks like a bug or something hanging out on a mossy tree!}

... then a bare wooden one:

{A long bead that I got years ago from the Earth Festival sits perfectly atop this bare wood piece}

Each piece was covered in Mod Podge to seal it up after the colored paint was applied.  The bare wood one was also covered in Mod Podge to give it a finished look.          



{Your Turn}
Would you sport these done-up wood disks this summer?  I love having a piece of nature so close to me and having it be so fashionable!  It's a win-win!  What are some ways that you would decorate yours?

Happy Crafting,
Kelsie Ann

1 comment: